After proudly serving his country in World War II, Raymond B. Cameron, class of 1940, embarked on a successful career in real estate development as the co-owner of the Cameron Company of Rockwall, professionals in investment properties. He and his firm were responsible for developing many of the residential and commercial subdivisions that have shaped the landscape of Rockwall in recent years.
A man intimately entrenched in his community, Cameron spent more than 30 years serving the citizens of Rockwall as president of the Chamber of Commerce, school board, and Rotary Club and as a member of the City Council. He served his local Methodist Church in capacities ranging from Sunday school teacher to district lay leader, district trustee, and commissioner of the Methodist Home in Waco.
Some of Cameron’s proudest moments of service were spent bettering the future of his alma mater. He served as president of the ETSU Alumni Association during 1965-66 and was later honored by the Dallas County Chapter with a special award recognizing his service to the university and the association. In 1977 Mr. Cameron was named to the Board of Directors of the East Texas State University Foundation. In 1978, he was bestowed with the university’s highest honor, Distinguished Alumnus. Altogether, Cameron’s life, career, faith, and family earned him the admiration and respect of all who knew him, and now, in his absence, the respect and admiration of an entire university community.