Become a Technology Educator
You have extensive training in the world of technology that you can use to teach local high school students. Build on your work experience and qualifications through our technology education educator program at A&M-Commerce. In under two years, you will be equipped to educate high school students from grades six through twelve in systems application, troubleshooting, design process and communication processes. Begin your new career in teaching today!
No foreign language credits required
No thesis required
Technology Education 6-12 Educator Certification :: Admissions Request copied not edited
- Bachelor’s degree
- Must have a bachelor’s overall GPA of 2.5 or higher OR a conferred master’s degree with overall GPA of 3.0 or higher
- Eligible military experience may be used in lieu of civilian licensure and wage-earning experience.
Applications are accepted throughout the year.
Your Path to Becoming a Lion
Step 1. Pre-Admission Test
You are required to pass the Texas Pre-Admission Content Test for Technology Education, test #771, prior to admission.
Step 2. Apply to the Graduate School
Submit your application through ApplyTexas.
- Select “Create a new graduate school admissions application.”
- Select “Texas A&M University-Commerce (Commerce)” as your “Target University.”
- Select “Educator Certification” as your “Major.”
- Pay the $50 application fee.
Wait to receive an application confirmation email before proceeding to the next step.
- After you submit your application, the Graduate School will send a confirmation email within two business days to the personal email account you used for ApplyTexas.
Submit the following documents after you receive an application confirmation email.
- Upload your documents at myLeo > Apps > Check Admissions Application Status & Test Scores or email your documents to your graduate coordinator, [email protected], unless otherwise specified below.
Contact your previous institution(s) and request that they send your official transcripts to [email protected].
- We recommend that you request transcripts for all of your academic work.
If your institution is unable to submit a digital copy, hard copies may be mailed to:
Texas A&M University-Commerce
Attn: Graduate School
PO Box 3011
Commerce, Texas 75429-3011
Resume or CV
Submit a resume or curriculum vitae (CV) which includes your academic and professional history and achievements.
Describe your preparation for graduate work, your academic interests and goals in no more than 500 words.
Look for application updates in myLeo > Apps > Check Application Status
- Once an admission decision has been made, you will receive an email to your student email account at myLeo > Apps > Leomail.
Step 3. Apply to the Alternative Certification
Submit your application through Alternative Certification Application
- Pay the $50 application fee.
Note: When the application is sent, also submit your test scores and a resume.
Email the following documents to [email protected] unless otherwise specified below.
Statement of Qualifications Form
Interview and Essay
Complete an admission interview with an Alternative Certification program representative.
At the time of the interview, a one-page essay should be submitted titled “What Inspired Me to Become a Teacher”.
Note: If unable to attend the interview in person, the essay must be e-mailed to the coordinator before the scheduled interview.
Once the interview is complete and all documents have been reviewed, a decision letter will be sent to the applicant offering acceptance into the program or denying admittance.
If accepted, the candidate will return the signed letter within seven days
- Pay a $35 Texas Education Agency Assessment Fee
Step 4. Apply for Financial Assistance
- Apply for FAFSA and TAFSA financial aid through the state and federal governments during the admission application process. Use code 003565.
- Apply for outside scholarships once you are admitted to A&M-Commerce.
- Check your financial aid and scholarship info through myLeo > Student Resources > Financial Aid Information.
Step 5. Register for Classes
Once registration opens and you are eligible to enroll, your certification coordinator will contact you to complete registration.
- View your degree plan in DegreeWorks.
- To register for classes, go to myLeo > Student Resources > Registration Menu.
Contact your certification coordinator if you have any questions regarding your degree plan and registration.
Technology Education Grade 6-12, ACP
To Complete the Alternative Certificate Program
ACP Programs:: Curriculum
Required courses (15 hours)
- EDCI 514 Management & Curriculum Development for Diverse Learners (to be taken first)
- EDCI 517 Reading & Learning K-12
- EDCI 519 Response to Intervention Applied to Exceptional Learners
- RDG 516 Foundations of Reading
- EDCI 515 Evidence-Based Learning (to be taken during internship)
- ETEC 524 Introduction to Educational Computing