Lead at The District Level
Our local ISDs need your insight. Now’s your chance to make a difference in the community. Become a respected leader in Texas school districts through our Superintendent Certification. Offered separately or combined with the Doctorate in Educational Administration, the 18-hour certification provides the skills needed to lead a school district. Work with our renowned faculty as you study school finance, facility planning, employee management and human resources. Complete a semester-long practicum where you’ll apply classroom theory to the school setting. Let us prepare you for the TExES examination and lead you towards success as a Superintendent.
No foreign language credits required
No thesis required
Superintendent Certificate :: Program
Applications are accepted throughout the year.
NOTE: You must hold a master’s degree with an overall 3.25 GPA or higher to be eligible for Superintendent Certification.
Your Path to Becoming a Lion
Step 1. Apply to the Graduate School
Submit your application through ApplyTexas.
- Select “Create a new graduate school admissions application.”
- Select “Texas A&M University-Commerce (Commerce)” as your “Target University.”
- Select “Superintendent Certification” as your “Major.”
- Pay the $50 application fee.
Wait to receive an application confirmation email before proceeding to the next step.
- After you submit your application, the Graduate School will send a confirmation email within two business days to the personal email account you used for ApplyTexas.
Submit the following documents after you receive an application confirmation email.
- Upload your documents at myLeo > Apps > Check Admissions Application Status & Test Scores or email your documents to your graduate coordinator, [email protected], unless otherwise specified below.
Contact your previous institution(s) and request that they send your official transcripts to [email protected].
- We recommend that you request transcripts for all of your academic work.
If your institution is unable to submit a digital copy, hard copies may be mailed to:
Texas A&M University-Commerce
Attn: Graduate School
PO Box 3011
Commerce, Texas 75429-3011
We will need official/original documents. If those documents are the only copies you have, the Graduate School can mail them back to you upon request. Contact [email protected] for more information.
Review and complete the Superintendent Admissions Packet. You must include Appendix A-L in your application. Incomplete applications will not be accepted.
Submit the following:
Service Record showing at minimum 3 years of administrative experience
Submit one of the following:
- Principal Certificate or
- Mid-management Certification
- Complete an application video, focusing on leadership and the role of a superintendent. Submit this to Dr. Ray Thompson ([email protected])
Look for application updates in myLeo > Apps > Check Application Status
- Once an admission decision has been made, you will receive an email to your student email account at myLeo > Apps > Leomail.
Step 2. Apply to Certification Office
Prior to being fully admitted to the Principal Certification portion, you’ll need to apply to the Certificate Office. This is a separate application with separate fees.
To apply for the Certification Office, you must:
- Complete and print the Professional Certification Program application
- Print and sign the FERPA/Code of
- Conduct requirements
- Pay the $50 application fee via Marketplace
- Pay the $35 TEA Assessment Fee via Marketplace
- Submit a copy of a valid Texas Principal Certificate
- Submit a copy of your Service Record
Please mail or email your packet to [email protected].
Center for Educator Certification and Academic Services
Texas A&M University-Commerce
P.O. Box 3011
Commerce, TX 75429-3011
Step 3. Apply for Financial Assistance
- Apply for FAFSA and TAFSA financial aid through the state and federal governments during the admission application process. Use code 003565.
- Apply for outside scholarships once you are admitted to A&M-Commerce.
- Check your financial aid and scholarship info through myLeo > Student Resources > Financial Aid Information.
Step 4. Register for Classes
Once registration opens and you are eligible to enroll, your graduate enrollment specialist is here to help you complete registration.
- View your degree plan in DegreeWorks.
- View the Schedule of Classes.
- To register for classes, go to myLeo > Student Resources > Registration Menu.
Contact your graduate enrollment specialist if you have any questions regarding your degree plan and registration.