Lead at The District Level
Our local ISDs need your insight. Now’s your chance to make a difference in the community. Become a respected leader in Texas school districts through our Superintendent Certification. Offered separately or combined with the Doctorate in Educational Administration, the 15-hour certification provides the skills needed to lead a school district. Work with our renowned faculty as you study school finance, facility planning, employee management and human resources. Complete a semester-long practicum where you’ll apply classroom theory to the school setting. Let us prepare you for the TExES examination and lead you towards success as a Superintendent.
No foreign language credits required
No thesis required
Superintendent Certificate :: Program
Applications are accepted throughout the year.
NOTE: You must hold a master’s degree with an overall GPA of 3.25 or higher, hold a current Principal Certification and have three years of managerial experience to be eligible for the Superintendent Certification program.
Your Path to Becoming a Lion
Step 1. Apply to the Graduate School
Note: Current educational administration doctoral students do not need to re-apply to the Graduate School. Please contact the department directly at [email protected]. Applicants who have not already applied to the Graduate School who are seeking superintendent certification only may follow the process below.
Submit your application through ApplyTexas.
- Select “Create a new graduate school admissions application.”
- Select “Texas A&M University-Commerce (Commerce)” as your “Target University.”
- Select “Superintendent Certification” as your “Major.”
- Pay the $50 application fee.
Wait to receive an application confirmation email before proceeding to the next step.
- After you submit your application, the Graduate School will send a confirmation email within two business days to the personal email account you used for ApplyTexas.
Submit the following documents after you receive an application confirmation email.
- Upload your documents at myLeo > Apps > Check Admissions Application Status & Test Scores or email your documents to [email protected], unless otherwise specified below.
Contact your previous institution(s) and request that they send your official transcripts to [email protected].
- We recommend that you request transcripts for all of your academic work.
If your institution is unable to submit a digital copy, hard copies may be mailed to:
Texas A&M University-Commerce
Attn: Graduate School
PO Box 3011
Commerce, Texas 75429-3011
We will need official/original documents. If those documents are the only copies you have, the Graduate School can mail them back to you upon request. Contact [email protected] for more information.
Review and complete the Superintendent Admissions Packet. You must include Appendix A-L in your application. Incomplete applications will not be accepted.
Submit the following:
Service Record showing at minimum 3 years of administrative experience
Submit one of the following:
- Principal Certificate or
- Mid-management Certification
Look for application updates in myLeo > Apps > Check Application Status
- Once an admission decision has been made, you will receive an email to your student email account at myLeo > Apps > Leomail.
Step 2. Apply to Certification Office
Prior to being fully admitted to the Principal Certification portion, you’ll need to apply to the Certificate Office. This is a separate application with separate fees.
To apply for the Certification Office, you must:
- Complete and print the Professional Certification Program application
- Print and sign the FERPA/Code of
- Conduct requirements
- Pay the $50 application fee via Marketplace
- Pay the $35 TEA Assessment Fee via Marketplace
- Submit a copy of a valid Texas Principal Certificate
- Submit a copy of your Service Record
Please mail or email your packet to [email protected].
Center for Educator Certification and Academic Services
Texas A&M University-Commerce
P.O. Box 3011
Commerce, TX 75429-3011
Step 3. Apply for Financial Assistance
Step 4. Register for Classes
Once registration opens and you are eligible to enroll, your graduate enrollment specialist is here to help you complete registration.
- View your degree plan in DegreeWorks.
- View the Schedule of Classes.
- To register for classes, go to myLeo > Student Resources > Registration Menu.
Contact your graduate enrollment specialist if you have any questions regarding your degree plan and registration.