Enrich Future Generations
There is a growing need for well-educated teachers in Texas. Youth deserve excellence in education, whether in the private or public-school setting. You can provide them with the best through our master’s degree in secondary education. Become familiar with designing curriculum that not only engages the mind but the person. Learn what it means to teach well and show others how to do the same. You’ll not only educate students, you’ll transform lives.
1.5 to 2 years
No foreign language credits required
No thesis required
Secondary Education (MED/MS) :: Focus Your Passion
Focus Your Passion
Our department offers two different tracks for secondary education to meet your research interests and career goals.
Master of Education (MEd) Non-thesis
Already have a Texas teaching certificate? We recommend our Master of Education program. Improve student engagement and retention by sharpening your classroom management and content delivery skills. Design an individualized degree plan that prepares you for developing classroom instruction and curriculum for at-risk learners.
Master of Science (MS) Non-thesis
Are you ready for a career change? Interested in becoming an educator but don’t have a teaching certificate yet? Our master of science program is designed for you. Earn your teaching certificate along the way through our post-baccalaureate certification program. Upon graduating, you’ll be well-prepared to improve student engagement, classroom management and teaching effectiveness.
Study What Interests You
Earn a certificate or specialization as part of your graduate curriculum. These recognitions provide career benefits like higher salaries and job opportunities.
Secondary Education (MED/MS) :: INTERNSHIP OPPORTUNITIES
Local ISDs often seek after our graduates. Job placement and satisfaction is ranked highly in our education program. These are just a few examples of districts where our students found employment. Now’s your chance to discover where you belong.
Graduate Program Cost
Tuition and fees for graduate students taking nine credit hours are $3,594 for Texas residents and $6,897 for non-residents.
Secondary Education (MED/MS) :: Domestic Program Admission Requirements
Applications are accepted throughout the year.
Note: This program is not available to international students.
Your Path to Becoming a Lion
Step 1. Submit Application
Submit your application through ApplyTexas.
- Select “Create a new graduate school admissions application.”
- Select “Texas A&M University-Commerce (Commerce)” as your “Target University.”
- Select “Secondary Education, MED or Secondary Education, MS” as your “Major.”
- Pay the $50 application fee.
Wait to receive an application confirmation email before proceeding to the next step.
- After you submit your application, the Graduate School will send a confirmation email within two business days to the personal email account you used for ApplyTexas.
After you submit your application, you may be granted provisional status, which means you can enroll in one semester of courses. You will not be eligible for financial aid until you submit all of your documents and are accepted into the program.
Step 2. Submit Documents
Submit the following documents after you receive an application confirmation email.
- Upload your documents at myLeo > Apps > Check Admissions Application Status & Test Scores or email your documents to your graduate coordinator, [email protected], unless otherwise specified below.
Contact your previous institution(s) and request that they send your official transcripts to [email protected].
- We recommend that you request transcripts for all of your academic work.
If your institution is unable to submit a digital copy, hard copies may be mailed to:
Texas A&M University-Commerce
Attn: Graduate School
PO Box 3011
Commerce, Texas 75429-3011
We will need official/original documents. If those documents are the only copies you have, the Graduate School can mail them back to you upon request. Contact [email protected] for more information.
Statement of Goals
Submit a statement of educational and professional goals of 500 words or less on the following prompt:
- Discuss your educational and professional goals and how you believe this graduate degree will help you achieve them.
Resume or CV
Submit a resume or curriculum vitae (CV) which includes your academic and professional history and achievements.
Test Scores or Teaching Certificate
You do not need to submit test scores if you have a valid teaching certificate. Email a copy of your valid teaching certificate to [email protected]
If you do not have a teaching certificate, you may submit your scores for one of the following tests:
- PPR, ExCet or TExES
Submit official General Test GRE scores
Look for application updates in myLeo > Apps > Check Application Status
- Once an admission decision has been made, you will receive an email to your student email account at myLeo > Apps > Leomail.
Step 3. Apply for Financial Assistance
- Apply for FAFSA and TAFSA financial aid through the state and federal governments during the admission application process. Use code 003565.
- Apply for outside scholarships once you are admitted to A&M-Commerce.
- Check your financial aid and scholarship info through myLeo > Student Resources > Financial Aid Information.
Step 4. Register for Classes
Once registration opens and you are eligible to enroll, your graduate enrollment specialist is here to help you complete registration.
- View your degree plan in DegreeWorks.
- View the Schedule of Classes.
- To register for classes, go to myLeo > Student Resources > Registration Menu.
Contact your graduate enrollment specialist if you have any questions regarding your degree plan and registration.