Engaging Students in Lifelong Learning
Discover ways of integrating literacy and technology into the classroom. Offered fully online, our 21-hour certification prepares you to work as a School Librarian or Library Media Specialist in Texas. Learn the basic skills in cataloging, classification, referencing and information organization for print and non-print sources. Explore literature for children and young adults, curate digital and print materials, and gain familiarity in a practicum with policies and procedures in school library administration. Interested in earning your master’s degree? We also offer a 36-hour online master’s in Educational Technology Library Science.
No foreign language credits required
No thesis required
To qualify for this certificate, you must:
- Show proof of valid Texas Teacher or Principal Certificate
- Currently hold a master’s degree from a regionally accredited university with at least a 3.00 or higher GPA OR enroll in a master’s degree program at A&M-Commerce
Applying to Graduate School
You must apply to the Graduate School before moving forward with the application process. To apply for the Graduate School, you must:
- Complete the ApplyTexas application
- Pay $50 application fee
- Submit the following to the Graduate School
- All official undergraduate transcripts, including all transcripts used towards earning a bachelor’s degree. Any master’s degree transcripts with graduate coursework, if applicable.
Please submit all required documents to the Graduate School:
Texas A&M University-Commerce
Attn: Graduate School/BA 142
P.O. Box 3011
Commerce, TX 75428-3011
Applying to School Librarian Certification
Once admitted to the Graduate School, you will be contacted by the Certificate Office with information regarding certification requirements and fees.
You will need to complete the following:
- Submit the Professional Certification Program application
- Pay $50 certification non-refundable fee submitted to MarketPlace
- Pay $35 TEA Assessment non-refundable fee submitted to MarketPlace
- Successfully complete the interview process and sign the “letter of invitation”
- Complete the FERPA/Code of Conduct requirements
Once admitted, you must:
- Complete 21 hours of coursework
- Complete a practicum in a school library and oversee an institution’s collection
The Texas State Board of Educators also requires you to complete the following:
- Two years of full-time classroom teaching experience
- Master’s degree
- A passing score on the TExES (test #150)
Note: A copy of official service record for each year of classroom service must be provided to apply for certification before becoming fully certified.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is the School Librarian Certification accredited by the American Library Association?
Is the School Librarian Certification approved by states other than Texas?
- Department of Higher Education and Learning Technologies
- P.O. Box 3011
- Commerce, Texas 75429-3011