Engaging Students in Lifelong Learning
Discover ways of integrating literacy and technology into the classroom. Offered fully online, our 21-hour certification prepares you to work as a School Librarian or Library Media Specialist in Texas. Learn the basic skills in cataloging, classification, referencing and information organization for print and non-print sources. Explore literature for children and young adults, curate digital and print materials, and gain familiarity in a practicum with policies and procedures in school library administration. Interested in earning your master’s degree? We also offer a 36-hour online master’s in Educational Technology Library Science.
No foreign language credits required
No thesis required
School Librarian Certification
Applications are accepted throughout the year.
Your Path to Becoming a Lion
Step 1. Apply to the Graduate School
Submit your application through ApplyTexas.
- Select “Create a new graduate school admissions application.”
- Select “Texas A&M University-Commerce (Commerce)” as your “Target University.”
- Select “School Librarian Certification” as your “Major.”
- Pay the $50 application fee.
Wait to receive an application confirmation email before proceeding to the next step.
- After you submit your application, the Graduate School will send a confirmation email within two business days to the personal email account you used for ApplyTexas.
Submit the following documents after you receive an application confirmation email.
- Upload your documents at myLeo > Apps > Check Admissions Application Status & Test Scores or email your documents to [email protected], unless otherwise specified below.
Contact your previous institution(s) and request that they send your official transcripts to [email protected].
- We recommend that you request transcripts for all of your academic work.
If your institution is unable to submit a digital copy, hard copies may be mailed to:
Texas A&M University-Commerce
Attn: Graduate School
PO Box 3011
Commerce, Texas 75429-3011
We will need official/original documents. If those documents are the only copies you have, the Graduate School can mail them back to you upon request. Contact [email protected] for more information.
Submit proof of one of the following:
- A valid Texas Teacher Certification or
- A Principal Certificate
Describe your preparation for graduate work, your academic interests and goals in no more than 500 words.
Resume or CV
Submit a resume or curriculum vitae (CV) which includes your academic and professional history and achievements.
Look for application updates in myLeo > Apps > Check Application Status
- Once an admission decision has been made, you will receive an email to your student email account at myLeo > Apps > Leomail.
Step 2. Apply to the Certification Office
Once admitted to the Graduate School, you will be contacted by the Certificate Office with information regarding certification requirements and fees.
You will need to complete the following:
- Submit the Professional Certification Program application
- Pay the $50 certification fee submitted to MarketPlace
- Pay the $35 TEA Assessment fee submitted to MarketPlace
- Complete the FERPA/Code of Conduct requirements
Please mail or email your packet to [email protected].
Center for Educator Certification and Academic Services
Texas A&M University-Commerce
P.O. Box 3011
Commerce, TX 75429-3011
The Educator Certification and Academic Services Department will reach out to schedule an interview with you.
Letter of Invitation
Once accepted, please sign and return the “letter of invitation.”
Step 4. Apply for Financial Assistance
Step 5. Register for Classes
Once registration opens and you are eligible to enroll, your graduate enrollment specialist is here to help you complete registration.
- View your degree plan in DegreeWorks.
- View the Schedule of Classes.
- To register for classes, go to myLeo > Student Resources > Registration Menu.
Contact your graduate enrollment specialist if you have any questions regarding your degree plan and registration.
Once admitted, you must:
- Complete 21 hours of coursework
- Complete a practicum in a school library and oversee an institution’s collection
The Texas State Board of Educators also requires you to complete the following:
- Two years of full-time classroom teaching experience
- Master’s degree
- A passing score on the TExES (test #150)
Note: A copy of official service record for each year of classroom service must be provided to apply for certification before becoming fully certified.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is the School Librarian Certification approved by states other than Texas?
Is the School Librarian Certification accredited by the American Library Association?
- Department of Higher Education and Learning Technologies
- P.O. Box 3011
- Commerce, Texas 75429-3011