Teach students the art of reading
Many children struggle with reading at a basic level and often need individualized instruction. You can help improve their literacy skills by becoming a licensed Reading Specialist. Your role includes assessing, diagnosing and instructing students in their reading and writing skills. Reading Specialists work alongside K-12 educators and often provide one-on-one instruction for students struggling in their reading and writing comprehension. You’ll develop individualized plans for addressing their reading difficulties. Offered as part of the master’s in reading program, you can earn your certificate in no time.
Reading Specialist Certification :: Program Details
Applications are accepted throughout the year.
This is not a stand-alone program; it must be completed as part of the MED in Reading master’s program (MS in Reading does not have this option).
Note: International students are not eligible for this program.
Your Path to Becoming a Lion
Step 1. Apply to the Graduate School
Submit your application through ApplyTexas.
- Select “Create a new graduate school admissions application.”
- Select “Texas A&M University-Commerce (Commerce)” as your “Target University.”
- Select “Reading, MED” as your “Major.”
- Pay the $50 application fee.
Wait to receive an application confirmation email before proceeding to the next step.
- After you submit your application, the Graduate School will send a confirmation email within two business days to the personal email account you used for ApplyTexas.
Note: Acceptance into the Graduate School does not give automatic admission into the Alternative Certification Program.
Submit the following documents after you receive an application confirmation email.
- Upload your documents at myLeo > Apps > Check Admissions Application Status & Test Scores or email your documents to your graduate coordinator, [email protected], unless otherwise specified below.
Contact your previous institution(s) and request that they send your official transcripts to [email protected].
- We recommend that you request transcripts for all of your academic work.
If your institution is unable to submit a digital copy, hard copies may be mailed to:
Texas A&M University-Commerce
Attn: Graduate School
PO Box 3011
Commerce, Texas 75429-3011
We will need official/original documents. If those documents are the only copies you have, the Graduate School can mail them back to you upon request. Contact [email protected] for more information.
Resume or CV
Submit a resume or curriculum vitae (CV) which includes your academic and professional history and achievements.
Describe your preparation for graduate work, your academic interests and goals in no more than 500 words.
Look for application updates in myLeo > Apps > Check Application Status
- Once an admission decision has been made, you will receive an email to your student email account at myLeo > Apps > Leomail.
Step 2. Apply to the Certification Office
Once admitted to the Graduate School, you’ll be contacted by the Certificate Office with information regarding certification requirements and fees.
Submit the following items as a complete packet to [email protected].
Submit Application and Pay Fees
Letter of Recommendation
Request one signed letter of recommendation on letterhead from a certified school administrator. That individual should:
- Submit a copy of your Texas teaching certificate
- Submit a copy of your Teacher Service Record from your school district personnel office indicating at least two years of classroom teaching experience
The Educator Certification and Academic Services Department will reach out to schedule an interview with you.
Center for Educator Certification and Academic Services
Texas A&M University-Commerce
P.O. Box 3011
Commerce, TX 75429-3011
Step 3. Apply for Financial Assistance
- Apply for FAFSA and TAFSA financial aid through the state and federal governments during the admission application process. Use code 003565.
- Apply for outside scholarships once you are admitted to A&M-Commerce.
- Check your financial aid and scholarship info through myLeo > Student Resources > Financial Aid Information.
Step 4. Register for Classes
Once registration opens and you are eligible to enroll, your graduate enrollment specialist is here to help you complete registration.
- View your degree plan in DegreeWorks.
- View the Schedule of Classes.
- To register for classes, go to myLeo > Student Resources > Registration Menu.
Contact your graduate enrollment specialist if you have any questions regarding your degree plan and registration.