Become a Marketing Instructor
Your extensive experience in problem-solving, marketing principles and business communication allows you the unique ability to teach secondary school students in grades six to twelve. Earn a teaching certificate in under two years by building on your work experience and a degree in marketing. Through our marketing educator program at A&M-Commerce, you can give back to our future generations. Start your teaching career with us today!
No foreign language credits required
No thesis required
Marketing Grades 6-12 Educator Certification:: Certificate Requirement New Design
Your Path To Complete The Certification
Step 1. Complete Observation Hours and Coursework
- Complete 30-hours of required field experience in the content area or grade level you are pursuing.
- Submit the completed log sheet and reflection questions to the Teacher Certification Office.
- You cannot begin your teaching assignment until this is complete.
Pre-Internship Training Requirement Courses
- Complete 4 of the 6 graduate alternative certification courses prior to a paid internship or clinical teaching.
- You must have a minimum of 3.0 on all coursework.
Pedagogy and Professional Responsibilities (PPR)
- Receive approval from the alternative certificate program staff after successfully completing EDCI 514 and three other certification courses.
- If you are planning on taking a paid internship position, you must be registered to take the PPR exam before a probationary license can be granted.
Step 2. Complete Teaching Assignment Requirement
Choose one of the following two options:
During the first semester of your teaching assignment, you must enroll in EDCI 515.
Supervision and Fees
All paid interns/clinical student teachers will be supervised by a University Supervisor and Campus Mentor.
- An internship fee of $1000 per semester is assessed during paid internship/clinical student teaching.
Step 3. Completion Checklist
- Complete any remaining courses.
- All tuition and fees for the university, certification agency and program must be paid prior to obtaining certification.
- Contact the Educator Certification Office during your final semester.
- They will verify that all requirements are completed.
- After the verification, you will receive information about how to apply for certification via the Texas Education Agency.
ACP Programs:: Curriculum
Required courses (15 hours)
- EDCI 514 Management & Curriculum Development for Diverse Learners (to be taken first)
- EDCI 517 Reading & Learning K-12
- EDCI 519 Response to Intervention Applied to Exceptional Learners
- RDG 516 Foundations of Reading
- EDCI 515 Evidence-Based Learning (to be taken during internship)
- ETEC 524 Introduction to Educational Computing
Marketing Grades 6-12 :: Admissions Request
To qualify, you’ll need a bachelor’s degree and two years of wage-earning experience in the field of marketing. Eligible military experience may be used in lieu of civilian licensure and wage-earning experience.
Applications are accepted throughout the year.
Your Path to Becoming a Lion
Step 1. Pass Content Test
Candidates must pass the TExES Content Test for Marketing (test #275) before beginning the program.
Step 2. Submit Graduate School Application and Documents
Submit your application through ApplyTexas.
- Select “Create a new graduate school admissions application.”
- Select “Texas A&M University-Commerce (Commerce)” as your “Target University.”
- Select “Educator Certification” as your “Major.”
- Pay the $50 application fee.
Wait to receive an application confirmation email before proceeding to the next step.
- After you submit your application, the Graduate School will send a confirmation email within two business days to the personal email account you used for ApplyTexas.
Submit the following documents after you receive an application confirmation email.
- Upload your documents at myLeo > Apps > Check Admissions Application Status & Test Scores or email your documents to your graduate coordinator, [email protected], unless otherwise specified below.
Contact your previous institution(s) and request that they send your official transcripts to [email protected].
- We recommend that you request transcripts for all of your academic work.
Undergraduate degree in a related discipline from a regionally accredited institution with a minimum grade point average of 2.75 overall.
If your institution is unable to submit a digital copy, hard copies may be mailed to:
Texas A&M University-Commerce
Attn: Graduate School
PO Box 3011
Commerce, Texas 75429-3011
We will need official/original documents. If those documents are the only copies you have, the Graduate School can mail them back to you upon request. Contact [email protected] for more information.
Resume or CV
Submit a resume or curriculum vitae (CV) which includes your academic and professional history and achievements.
Describe your preparation for graduate work, your academic interests and goals in no more than 500 words.
Look for application updates in myLeo > Apps > Check Application Status
- Once an admission decision has been made, you will receive an email to your student email account at myLeo > Apps > Leomail.
Note: Acceptance into the Graduate School does not give automatic admission into the Alternative Certification Program.
Step 3. Apply to the Alternative Certification Program
Submit your application through Alternative Certification Application
- Pay the $50 application fee.
Note: When the application is sent, also submit your test scores and a resume.
Email the following documents to [email protected] unless otherwise specified below.
Statement of Qualifications Form
Submit current resume to [email protected]
Passing TExAS Content Test Scores
Submit your passing TExAS Content Text scores to [email protected]
Step 4. Apply for Financial Assistance
- Apply for FAFSA and TAFSA financial aid through the state and federal governments during the admission application process. Use code 003565.
- Apply for outside scholarships once you are admitted to A&M-Commerce.
- Check your financial aid and scholarship info through myLeo > Student Resources > Financial Aid Information.
Step 5. Register for Classes
Once registration opens and you are eligible to enroll, your certification coordinator will contact you to complete registration.
- View your degree plan in DegreeWorks.
- To register for classes, go to myLeo > Student Resources > Registration Menu.
Contact your certification coordinator if you have any questions regarding your degree plan and registration.