Inspire young minds from an early age
Our children deserve the best in Texas education. As an Early Childhood Educator, you can lead the next generation to a brighter future. Our graduate program takes a closer look at the physiological and psychological development of children from birth through fourth grade. While here, you’ll learn how to apply curriculum theory to the kindergarten classroom and beyond. We understand that earning a degree while teaching is demanding. That’s why we’ve created a flexible, online program that lets you enroll in courses over the summer. Take the next step in advancing your career through our Early Childhood Education program. We’ll help you along the way.
1.5 to 2 years
No foreign language credits required
MA option only
Emphases and Minors
Focus Your Passion
We offer two different tracks to cater to your research interests and career goals. Discover which Early Childhood Education program works best for you.
Master of Education (MEd) Non-thesis
Are you currently certified to teach in Texas? Consider earning your Master of Education in Early Childhood Education! Designed for current educators, our non-thesis track offers a flexible way for you to enhance your education online.
Master of Science (MS) Non-Thesis
Not a certified teacher in Texas? Don’t fret! We have a program for you! Admission into our Master of Science track does not require a teaching certificate. You’ll have the option to earn your teaching certificate along the way through our post-baccalaureate alternative certification program.
Learn about specialized topics from our experienced faculty! Available courses include those that can help prepare you for supplemental certification exams. Once you hold a Texas Teaching Certificate, you may then take additional tests to add any of these supplements to your certificate.
- Bilingual Education – Spanish
- English as a Second Language (ESL)
- Gifted and Talented
- Special Education
Note: These supplemental certificates are optional.
Early Childhood Education (MED/MS) :: Potential Employers
Local ISDs often seek after our graduates. Job placement and satisfaction is ranked highly in our education program. These are just a few examples of districts where our students found employment. Now’s your chance to discover where you belong.
Graduate Program Cost
Tuition and fees for graduate students taking nine credit hours are $3,594 for Texas residents and $6,897 for non-residents.
Early Childhood Education (MED/MS) :: Program Admission Requirements
Applications are accepted throughout the year.
Your Path to Becoming a Lion
Step 1. Submit Application
Submit your application through ApplyTexas.
- Select “Create a new graduate school admissions application.”
- Select “Texas A&M University-Commerce (Commerce)” as your “Target University.”
- Select one of the following as your “Major”
- Early Childhood Education, MED for certified teachers
- Early Childhood Education, MS seeking initial teacher certification as part of the master’s degree
- Early Childhood Education, MA seeking initial teacher certification as part of the master’s degree
- Pay the $50 application fee.
*Applicants for the MS/MA in Early Childhood Education must also apply for the Post Baccalaureate Teacher/Alternative Certification program.
Wait to receive an application confirmation email before proceeding to the next step.
- After you submit your application, the Graduate School will send a confirmation email within two business days to the personal email account you used for ApplyTexas.
After you submit your application, you may be granted provisional status, which means you can enroll in one semester of courses. You will not be eligible for financial aid until you submit all of your documents and are accepted into the program.
Step 2. Submit Documents
Submit the following documents after you receive an application confirmation email.
- Upload your documents at myLeo > Apps > Check Admissions Application Status & Test Scores or email your documents to your graduate coordinator, [email protected], unless otherwise specified below.
Contact your previous institution(s) and request that they send your official transcripts to [email protected].
- We recommend that you request transcripts for all of your academic work.
If your institution is unable to submit a digital copy, hard copies may be mailed to:
Texas A&M University-Commerce
Attn: Graduate School
PO Box 3011
Commerce, Texas 75429-3011
We will need official/original documents. If those documents are the only copies you have, the Graduate School can mail them back to you upon request. Contact [email protected] for more information.
Statement of Goals
Submit a statement of educational and professional goals of 500 words or less on the following prompt:
- Discuss your educational and professional goals and how you believe this graduate degree will help you achieve them.
Resume or CV
Submit a resume or curriculum vitae (CV) which includes your academic and professional history and achievements.
Test Scores or Teaching Certificate
You do not need to submit test scores if you have a valid teaching certificate. Email a copy of your valid teaching certificate to [email protected]
If you do not have a teaching certificate, you may submit your scores for one of the following tests:
- PPR, ExCet or TExES
Submit official General Test GRE scores
Look for application updates in myLeo > Apps > Check Application Status
- Once an admission decision has been made, you will receive an email to your student email account at myLeo > Apps > Leomail.
Step 3. Apply for Financial Assistance
- Apply for FAFSA and TAFSA financial aid through the state and federal governments during the admission application process. Use code 003565.
- Apply for outside scholarships once you are admitted to A&M-Commerce.
- Check your financial aid and scholarship info through myLeo > Student Resources > Financial Aid Information.
Step 4. Register for Classes
Once registration opens and you are eligible to enroll, your graduate enrollment specialist is here to help you complete registration.
- View your degree plan in DegreeWorks.
- View the Schedule of Classes.
- To register for classes, go to myLeo > Student Resources > Registration Menu.
Contact your graduate enrollment specialist if you have any questions regarding your degree plan and registration.