Sandy Kimbrough lives for movement and the education it brings. An expert in group exercise and devoted professor, she has received a multitude of professional and educational awards. Dr. K enjoys the challenge of creating classes that are informative, interactive and inviting. When she’s not teaching, Dr. K travels the world, meeting new people and embracing adventure.
A Conversation with Dr. Kimbrough
What would you tell a student who is thinking about attending A&M-Commerce?
“Specific to our department, faculty are on campus a lot and we know our student’s names and have relationships with them. Students will get a lot of hands-on experience and get to know their professors and classmates.”
What draws you to your discipline?
“I always played sports and have been very active my whole life, so I really enjoy teaching about physical movement and the body. I also love being around college students. My job is not a typical desk job, so while I do some traditional teaching, I also get to do a lot of movement within my job, which is great.”
What has been your favorite course to teach?
“My favorite course to teach is Group Exercise Instruction. We’re active and moving every day. The students learn about music, how to create choreography, how to teach things like boot camp, safety and exercise, and how to teach a room full of people who all want to exercise and who are all different. It is challenging, but it’s a lot of fun.”
- Ph.D., Kinesiology (Motor Behavior), Texas A&M University, 2000
- MS, Kinesiology (Motor Behavior), TAMU, 1995
- BS, Kinesiology, TAMU, 1994
Certifications and Licensure
- K–12 Teacher Certification in Physical Education
- Secondary Certification in English
Awards and Honors
- TAHPERD Scholar of the Year, 2018
- TAMU-Commerce, Global Fellow, 2016.
- TAHPERD University Physical Educator of the Year Award, 2016
- TAHPERD Honor Award, 2015
- Member, Chancellor’s Academy of Teacher Educators (TAMUS), 2015
- TAHPERD Recreation Professional of the Year, 2008
- Physical education
- Online learning
- Texas Association for Health, Physical Education, Recreation & Dance (TAHPERD)
- Texas Outdoor Education Association