Her home was an island. Keturi spent her childhood on Cape Hatteras, a remote barrier island off the shores of North Carolina. She remembers lots of sand, a few pelicans and the most beautiful sunsets imaginable. Keturi graduated from the University of North Carolina Wilmington before moving to Texas. While here, she pursued her master’s degree at the University of North Texas and later became the Senior Director of Development for the College of Education. She now serves as the Vice President of Advancement at A&M-Commerce. Her engagement and innovation for growth is what our institution needs. Her warmth brings joy not only to our university, but the community as a whole. Keturi lives in Commerce with her two daughters and dog.
A Conversation with Keturi
What would you tell a student who is thinking about attending A&M-Commerce?
“If you are looking for a place that feels like family, challenges you daily, and feels like home- come to A&M-Commerce.”
What makes you passionate about institutional advancement?
“Fundraising is a calling. I am deeply moved by our mission: Educate. Discover. Achieve. As a graduate of a public, regional university, I understand the critical role A&M-Commerce plays in our community and in the lives of our students. In advancement, we bring our mission to life through fundraising. The joy of giving is contagious, and partnering with people who share our passion for education is invigorating. I love asking questions, uncovering people’s core values, and then aligning their dreams and goals with philanthropic opportunities here at A&M-Commerce. It’s truly an honor to be a part of someone’s personal philanthropy.”
What do you like most about your career?
“I love understanding the inspiration behind people’s giving. I like the journey of peeling back the layers of someone’s core values and getting to the heart about WHY someone cares. It’s a joy to work with people every day who want to make the world a better place.”
- MA, Communication Studies, University of North Texas, 2009
- BA, Spanish and Communication Studies, University of North Carolina Wilmington, 2005
- Vice President of Institutional Advancement, Texas A&M University-Commerce, 2017-Present
- Associate Vice President of Institutional Advancement, TAMUC, 2017-2017
- Senior Director of Development, University of North Texas, 2014-2017
- Director of Stewardship, Major Gifts and Planned Giving, The Hockaday School, 2013-2014
- Director of Annual Giving, The Hockaday School, 2010-2012
- Advancement Assistant, The Lamplight School, 2009-2010
- Public Speaking and Study Skills Teacher, The Hockaday School, 2008-2009
- Instructor, University of North Texas, 2007-2009
Awards and Services
- Chair, CASE IV Board of Directors, 2020-present
- Chair-Elect, CASE IV Board of Directors, 2018-2020
- Director for District Awards, CASE IV Board of Directors, 2015-present
- Annual Giving Network Webinar Faculty, 2014-present