Guclu Atinc did not think he would ever be a professor. Born in Istanbul, Turkey, Atinc had several successful careers; from working in his family’s firm, to international sales and even as a senior bank auditor. It wasn’t until 2006 that he tried his hand at academia and never looked back. His work as a scholar has taken him all over the world and allowed him to contribute to research that has been cited more than 1,300 times. But more than anything, Atinc loves walking into a classroom full of students and he is humbled by the opportunity to make a difference in their lives.
A Conversation with Dr. Atinc
What draws you to your discipline?
“Management is about doing things right and doing the right things. I am glad to contribute to that as a scholar of management.”
Tell us about a project you are working on or have completed.
“My research is primarily on corporate governance issues, such as boards of directors and top management teams. In one of our current studies, we are looking at the impact of female directors on firm outcomes.”
What would you tell a student who is thinking about attending A&M-Commerce?
“Students are at the center of all we do at A&M-Commerce. You will have an educational experience that will benefit you throughout your professional journey.”
- DBA, Louisiana Tech University, 2011
- MBA, Louisiana Tech University, 2009
- MBA, Troy University, 2000
- BS, Management, Troy University, 1999
- Associate Professor of Management, Texas A&M University-Commerce, 2014-present
- Assistant Professor of Management, Drake University, 2011-2014
- Senior Lecturer of Management, University of Texas at Tyler, 2010-2011
Awards and Honors
- Paul W. Barrus Distinguished Faculty Teaching Award, A&M-Commerce, 2017
- Best Paper of the Track Award, Southwest Academy of Management Annual Meeting, 2016
- Outstanding Reviewer Award, Midwest Academy of Management Annual Conference, 2013
- Corporate Governance
- Strategic Management
- Research Methods
- Academy of Management
- Southwest Academy of Management
MGT 527 Strategic Management