Daniel Hsiao has many years of professional experience in the investment banking and IT industry. He received his Ph.D. in Accounting from the University of Texas at Arlington. Hsiao is a Certified Public Accountant (CPA) and Certified Information Systems Auditor (CISA). He has conducted accounting research studies in earnings management and corporate governance. Hsiao enjoys interacting with his students and witnessing their knowledge grow.
A Conversation with Dr. Hsiao
What would you tell a student who is thinking about attending A&M-Commerce?
“Going to college is one of the most exciting choices you’ll make for your life. TAMUC has a dynamic and diverse environment where students will enjoy learning and living on the campus. Abundant resources and opportunities will make your college experience memorable and fruitful.”
What draws you to your discipline?
“Accounting is the language of business. Accounting does not require a math genius to study it. Its focus is on your interest in numbers and in practicing logical thinking to assist decision-making. It’s an interesting and rewarding profession.”
What has been your favorite course to teach?
“Financial Reporting and Forensic Accounting. The former is to recognize, prepare and report the financial transactions. While the latter is to practice the professional skepticism and fraud examination.”
- Ph.D.Acc., University of Texas Arlington, 2009
- M.P.A.Acc., University of Texas Arlington, 2007
- M.S.MIS., University of Texas at Dallas, 2002
- Associate Professor, TAMUC, 2018 – Present
- Associate Professor, University of Minnesota Duluth, 2014-2018
- Visiting Scholar, University of North Texas, 2014-2014
- Assistant Professor, University of Minnesota Duluth, 2008-2014
Awards and Honors
- Awarded EVCAA Research and Scholarship Grant, University of MN Duluth, 2016, 2018
- Awarded Faculty Research Development Leave, University of MN Systems, 2014
- Corporate Governance
- Financial Misstatement
- Analysts Forecast
- Corporate Social Responsibility
- Member, Information Systems Audit and Control Association (ISACA)
- Member, American Accounting Association (AAA)
- Member, Association of Certified Fraud Examiners