He’s a first-generation college student. A&M-Commerce gave him the tools to excel. While here, Carlos earned two degrees that led him towards a successful career. Now he’s helping others do the same. As a lead Admissions Recruiter, Carlos works with high school students across Dallas to apply and enroll at our university.
How I Can Help You
“I work with the Dallas County Promise program by helping high school students succeed in college and advance professionally. If you qualify for this program, I will walk with you through the application process. My team will help you discover opportunities at A&M-Commerce and enroll at our institution.”
A Conversation with Carlos
What do you like most about your career?
“I have always wanted to be an educator. To this day I am able to help students in high school with opportunities to continue their education and earn a college degree. Through my work, I am able to meet new people and interact with them daily! I enjoy hearing success stories from individuals who worked hard to get to where they are now.”
What else would you like to share about yourself or your A&M-Commerce experience?
“I am an advisor for two strong organizations on campus. Phi Iota Alpha Fraternity Inc. and Latin American Mentorship Program (LAMP). These two organizations excel in their academics, community service and mentoring programs. The members of these organizations are mostly first-generation college students who strive to be successful and constantly give back to their community.”
What would you tell a student who is thinking about attending A&M-Commerce?
“A&M Commerce was one of the best decisions I could have made as a first-generation college student. I was able to graduate with two degrees and have a job that I love. This institution helps students grow into professionals and provides opportunities for growth. Not only will you be successful at A&M Commerce, but you will enjoy the great memories and friendships you build along the way.”
- MS, Higher Education, Texas A&M University-Commerce, 2017
- BS, Interdisciplinary Studies with Bilingual Certification, Texas A&M University-Commerce, 2015
Awards and Honors
- Outstanding Chapter Advisor, Multicultural Greek Council
- Sigma Alpha Pi Honors Society
- Service Award, Office of Hispanic Outreach and Student Programs
- Resident Assistant of the Year, Residential Living & Learning
- Phi lota Alpha Fraternity
- Latin American Mentorship Program (LAMP)
- Hispanic Student Association
- L.E.A.D Member
- Bilingual Educators Student Organization (BESO)