Bacterial Meningitis Vaccination Requirement
How will I know if a vaccination requirement applies to me?
You are NOT required to submit proof of the Bacterial Meningitis vaccine if you:
- Are taking only online courses. Online students under the age of 22 will need to work with their advisers to complete the Online Classes Form that must be submitted to the Undergraduate Admissions office.
- Are 22 years old or older by the first class day of the semester
Where do I submit my forms or vaccination records?
You will not submit your forms or vaccination records to A&M-Commerce. Once you’ve created your Magnus Health account, you can click the upload button within your Magnus account and submit medical records digitally if they are in a pdf or jpg format.
Your Magnus account also offers a form that you can print and take with you to your vaccination appointment. The form can be filled out by the doctor’s office, and then you can upload the form to your Magnus account.
Detailed instructions on how to submit the required documentation are available via a 60-second, introductory video that plays when you log in to your account. If you need additional assistance, please contact Magnus Health’s customer service.
For instructions on how to create a Magnus Health account, see “Getting started with Student Health Tracker” below.
When do I need to complete the meningitis vaccination requirement?
You must have received the bacterial meningitis vaccine within the past five years and at least 10 days prior to the first day of classes in the semester for which you are beginning at A&M-Commerce.
New students will be allowed to register for their New Student Orientation session but will NOT be allowed to register for classes if the bacterial meningitis vaccination requirement has not been met by their orientation session date.
|Admissions Semester||10 Days Prior Date||1st day of Classes Date|
|Winter Mini 2021||December 04, 2020||December 14, 2020|
|Spring 2021||January 01, 2021||January 11, 2021|
|May Mini 2021||May 1, 2021||May 10, 2021|
|Summer 1 2021||May 21, 2021||May 31, 2021|
|Summer 2 2021||July 02, 2021||July 12, 2021|
|Aug. Mini 2021||Aug. 03, 2021||Aug. 13, 2021|
|Fall 2021||Aug. 20, 2021||Aug. 30, 2021|
What are my options if I wish to decline the meningitis vaccination?
You must obtain a waiver, signed by a physician who is duly registered and licensed to practice medicine in the United States, stating that, in the physician’s opinion, the required vaccination for bacterial meningitis would be injurious to your health and well-being.
You must sign and submit a Notarized Affidavit stating that you decline the required vaccination for bacterial meningitis for reasons of conscience, including religious belief. Additional information can be found at College Vaccine Requirements.
You will also receive instructions on how to request affidavit forms from the Texas Department of State Health Services once you’ve created your Magnus Health account in your myLEO. The original affidavit document must be mailed to Magnus Health.
Students wishing to use the waiver program must still activate their Magnus Health account to access the forms and link to the waiver option.
To learn more about your options, please visit the Magnus Health Help Desk.
What meningitis vaccination do I need?
There are only three types of meningitis vaccinations approved in Sec. 51.9192 of the Education Code and S21.613 of the TAC when the vaccination was required:
- Menomune (MPSV4)
- Menactra (MCV4 or Men ACWY)
- Menveo (MCV4 or MEN ACWY)
At this time, the MenB vaccination will be accepted to meet the vaccination requirement. You should consult a physician or medical practitioner to determine the optimum vaccination protocol for your needs. It is important to note that vaccinations for MenACWY and MenB are not interchangeable. MenB vaccines do not provide protection for MenACWY strains and MenACWY vaccines do not provide protection for MenB strains.
- Trumenba (MenB)
- Bexsero (MenB)
How do I create a Magnus Health account?
A&M-Commerce uses the services of Magnus Health to collect, review and securely store all student documents pertaining to the meningitis vaccine. All first-time and former students must register through Magnus Health’s SMR to ensure that the course registration process is not delayed.
Please follow the instructions below to complete your Magnus Health account:
1. Log into myLEO to enter the Student Portal. You will need your CWID number and password.
2. Click on the myLEO link at the top of the page to enter the Self-Service page.
3. Click on the Verify Meningitis Shot Requirement link found on the Main Menu.
4. You will automatically be directed to Magnus Health’s SMR account page.
5. Your myLEO account is linked to your Magnus Health account through a single sign-on; therefore, you do not need to create an additional username and password.
6. You will be asked to verify your personal information.
7. You will pay a one-time $12.50 processing fee, payable to Magnus Health SMR (debit or credit card required).
8. You will then be guided through the rest of the verification process through Magnus Health.
9. You can access Magnus Health’s SMR by logging into your myLEO account at any time.