What if my roommate has a cough?
It is important to remember that this is cold and flu season, and regardless of an individual’s travel history, coughs and other upper-respiratory symptoms are much more likely to be signs of a bad cold or seasonal influenza than the new coronavirus. You can protect yourself in the same ways you would normally do to avoid getting sick:
- Clean your hands, and remind others to do the same. Wash your hands for 20 seconds frequently and thoroughly with soap and warm water, or use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer.
- Don’t share towels. Use paper towels after washing your hands, or use a cloth towel that isn’t shared with anyone else.
- Clean common surfaces. Use a standard household disinfectant, and wash your hands after cleaning the area.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth.
- Stay home when you are sick and avoid close contact with those who are sick.